Hey Y'all! It's been awhile since I've had time to sit and actually write something interesting.
I am about to share with y'all the guide that I share with all the families with kids that choose me as their photographers.
Maybe you have a session booked with me this fall, or anytime through out the year, but either way, there is a good chance you are wondering how you will prepare your kiddos. You have invested your valuable time and money into this experience and you want it to go perfectly. Here are a few tips on how to prepare your kids for your family photography session.
There can be a lot of anxiety around having family photos taken and my hope is to ease some of your worries.
1. First, once you book I will be sending you a Guide on What To Wear. This will guide you with colors and other little tips.
2. Next, trust your photographer. I am a lifestyle family photographer.
You will be sensitive to all the minor misbehaviors that are happening but I see right through that. Lifestyle photography gives you the freedom to relax and let go of perfection. My job isn't to make you look perfect or to make your children behave perfectly and sit straight up on a stiff chair with a stiff smile. No. My job is to show you that your children are absolutely perfect just the way they are. I photograph many families each year and know how to get almost every child to relax and allow me to capture them. You hired me because you love what you see on my portfolio.
Allow me to turn your children into art. I promise I will.
3. Tell them what will happen. I am a firm believer in being very upfront with children. The days leading up to the session tell them that a friend is going to be taking your family photos. Tell them that we are going to go to a really fun park or beach and that we are going to play. Tell them that your friend will be asking them to stand and sit in a few different ways. Tell them you expect them to be in the photos. You can tell them that it will be pretty fast. My shoots are usually 45 minutes to an hour and I still get loads of photos.
4. Show them past family photos. When kids know that this experience will result in a series of fun photos of themselves, they may be more excited. Even if you only have iPhone photos to show them, the effect is the same. Most kids LOVE to see photos of themselves.
5. Make sure that they are fed and rested. I know. We just talked and I said we had to shoot at 7 pm to get the best light. But this can be remedied by putting them down for a late nap that day or if they don't' nap, clearing your schedule on photo day to allow them to rest before the shoot. Don't go on a hike and then to a soccer game on the same day as your photo shoot. Make your photos session the main event. Feed them dinner or a big snack before the session so they aren't hangry. Hungry kids are never easy to work with.
6. Offer a little reward for tolerating the session. Notice how I didn't say bribe. I actually see that back fire a bit when parents say "remember that ice cream cone?" In a super frustrated voice. And trust me. I have been there many times as a mom. Instead before the shoot say "as a family we are going to go out for burgers and shakes after the session is over." Or whatever sounds good. Just make the whole experience one of bonding and fun.
7. I will never make your child smile. If they smile, it will be because they are actually happy. I am okay with honest, pensive portraits of children. I also will never make your child leave your arms if they don't feel comfortable. I will capture them exploring and being them and then sneak in some portraits along the way.
8. Show them a picture of me. Head to my About page and show them a photo of me so I am not a strange face to them. This will make me seem more human and relatable. You can even go to my personal Instagram feed and show them photos of my kids and family. Then, they know I am just like you all. :)
I promise you, 99.9% of my sessions are fun and relaxed. My style is laid back. I have had numerous families tell me the kids actually said they had fun after my session and I think that is probably why they come back year after year. Because we actually have fun!
I can't wait for all the sessions I have coming up in the next few months! I hope you are excited too.